BEAUTY GAB

UPDATE: Makeup Allergies

Well not much of the positive update I was hoping for.

I went to a new allergist yesterday hoping to hear some good news.

Maybe some news like:

-You’re no longer allergic to chemicals!

-I have the perfect eyeshadow for you!

-Every cosmetic company is now required to take out these harsh chemicals!

Was that crazy of me to think I’d actually hear any of that yesterday?

Here’s what I did find out:

-I am still allergic to these chemicals.

-Unfortunately, it can get worse.

-Slight chance it will go away on its own.

– My only 2 options at this point are to either stop wearing eyeshadow altogether or to continue testing until I can find something that works.

Was any of that information I didn’t already know? – Nope.

Am I bummed? – Yup.

This past weekend I used a Stila Palette on my eyes and didn’t have a reaction. Yet, I’m still hesitant to use it daily.

I also recently tested a few shadows from Physicians Formula that seemed to be alright.

Unfortunately, I’m at the point where I become stressed when testing new products. Some of the crazy thoughts and questions that go through my head are, “Am I going to be clawing out my eyes in the next couple hours? Am I going to be able to wear any makeup after this? Are my eyes bloodshot yet? Is that tingling I feel on my eyelids?” I’m not exaggerating when I say, I’m a total basketcase during these “testing periods.”

However, is it worth it for me to try and figure out a solution?  – ABSOLUTELY

The next 2 brands I’m going to test on my eyes are LORAC and CLINIQUE.

Here are some brands that I can NO LONGER use on myself- eyeshadows specifically:

– Tarte

– Morphe <– tested COUNTLESS times – skin DOES NOT agree

-ELF

Of course, there are other brands that I’ve tried, but the reactions haven’t been as consistent. These 3 brands unfortunately have caused an allergic reaction each time I’ve used them.

Just a reminder, I am in no way blaming these companies for my reactions. Unfortunately it’s just my skin that doesn’t agree with their products.

Anyways, thats my one and only rant for the day. 🙂

Let me know if you or anyone you know is going through something similar!

I am a Los Angeles based freelance celebrity makeup artist. I specialize in television/film, print, bridal, and special events.

BECOME AN INSIDER

• Reply Cara September 2, 2016, 6:30 am

Face wash and moisturizer. Day 1, great. Day 2, raw, sensitive, rough patches, itching.
    I returned another set to Sephora yesterday, where the employee tried to convince me to keep the moisturizer. I said, Do you see these patches on my eyelids? I didn’t scrub the face wash there, so it has to be the moisturizer. She said, Oh, you NEVER put face moisturizer on your eyes!!
    Now, I get that there are specific eye creams that are incredible for the thin skin on our eyes… but that doesn’t add up to a facial moisturizer causing rashes on my eyes.
    So far, sticking with the Soy Face Wash by Fresh. It’s wonderful, but the price tag is an ouch for me. Next up is finding the right moisturizer!

• Reply Lindsay September 2, 2016, 8:21 am

Ugh, what was the face wash + moisturizer that you had a reaction too?

I’ve never tried the Fresh brand, but I’ve heard good things.

Unfortunately along with many other companies, Sephora seems to care more about their sales than our well-being!

I have to use both my regular facial moisturizer + eye-cream because the skin on my eyelids becomes that dry! 🙁

• Reply Melissa September 2, 2016, 4:48 pm

Hi,
    I’m sorry about the allergist. I have been to a dozen allergist’s and derms with no luck. Thanks for testing out different brands.
    I have used clinique eye shadows forever but now I can’t wear them. I also recently tried Red apple lipstick with no luck. They do have great customer service and refunded me my money. They had a great variety of shades and I wished they worked for me.

• Reply Lindsay September 11, 2016, 11:00 pm

Ugh, its so frustrating! I just tried a Physicians Formula Palette (Matte – not shimmer) and it seems to work.

Also, I don’t know if it’s just a mental thing, but I have decided to try to avoid my actual lid and just work in the crease and above and it seems to work and thankfully have not had a reaction YET. Hoping it stays this way. 🙁

Have you tried the brand, Omiana? They have lipsticks without harsh chemicals, might be worth a shot!

Let me know!

• Reply Kelly October 13, 2016, 8:42 pm

I feel your pain! I just found physicians formula and I think just eye makeup in general are causing a problem. Now the cetaphil I have been using seems to be giving me issues. I’ve started using defractionated cogconut oil and seems to help. I used to be 100% faithful bare minerals user & then 1 day everything went haywire. So frustrating

• Reply Lindsay October 24, 2016, 12:05 am

I know what you mean. I get so nervous to try anything out now! Specifically on my eyes! Have you tried CeraVe or VaniCream for skincare products? Those are 2 brands I’ve been swearing by lately!

• Reply Lindsey October 18, 2016, 3:52 pm

Hi! My name is Lindsey, too! 🙂 I’m 32 and developed allergies about four years ago. I never had an issue with makeup before then. That said, I’m just back from the eye doctor and my eye allergies have flared up so much I have to go on a steroid drop for the third time this year to cut down the allergic inflammation. I already use a prescription allergy drop twice a day, but that’s not cutting it, apparently. The doctor said that my eye issues are probably not due to seasonal allergies, but chemical. They could be from the detergent on my pillow or eye makeup, for example. I was just thinking on the way home I’d try all Clinique eye makeup products and came across your post. All is can say is I definitely understand what you’re going through. Clinique is expensive, but obviously worth it if it eases the horrible eye symptoms. I’ll keep you posted on my results. Have you ever tried Almay?

• Reply Lindsay October 24, 2016, 12:00 am

Hi Lindsey! Ugh, I’m so sorry to hear you’re going though this too! It is NO fun. I haven’t tried Almay yet but I know they stress that they are Hypoallergenic. I have been using a Physicians Formula Quad Eyeshadow Palette that luckily thus far has been ok. Although, I have to mention, the pigmentation could be a lot better. Let me know if you come across anything else! I will do the same! Good Luck!! <3

• Reply Nicola February 27, 2017, 4:35 pm

Hi Lindsay,
    I have the same problem with eyelid irritation from makeup. Do you have a suggestion for eyeliner? I noticed you talked about eyeshadow but didn’t mention eyeliner. What eyeliner have you found works for you?
    Thanks for your time! 🙂

• Reply Lindsay March 8, 2017, 6:44 pm

Hi! So as of now, I can use 100% Pure Pencil Liners. No issues with them on my lash line as well as in the waterline!

• Reply Sandra Tomkins April 11, 2017, 2:36 pm

Hey there. Came across your videos and site and I have the same issues….my eyes cannot tolerate pretty much anything near them! So frustrating. I was wondering if you have found a mascara that doesn’t irritate your eyes? I have tried so many and at this point I don’t wear makeup any more:( Thanks!

• Reply Lindsay April 20, 2017, 4:47 pm

I hate to even type this, but for now Mascara doesn’t seem to be an issue for me.

However, if it becomes an issue, I plan on switching to Omiana and/or 100% Pure. Both mascaras have no harsh chemicals. However, with 100% Pure, you do have to look out and make sure you aren’t allergic to any other ingredients because they are a “fruit based” company.

Have you tried either of those?